The Ugly American: Ever wonder what the Limited in Ramada Limited really means? Locations of visitors to this page
Open links in secondary window
The Ugly American
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
  Ever wonder what the Limited in Ramada Limited really means?
I said in one of my posts yesterday that I’d tell you all about the crumbiest hotel at the waterfront in Virginia Beach. I’ll preface this story by saying that it’s nobody’s fault but my own that I ended up in the crumbiest hotel at the beach. I mean, I only work about 15 minutes from the beach and I could have easily gone down there and looked before I made the reservation. Sometimes, I’m just a lazy bastard though and I didn’t get off my butt and go take a look. I won’t make the same mistake again.

Over the weekend we decided to hang out at the beach and do a little partying. Rather than risk the chance of doing something stupid we got a room down at the beach. I made the reservation through one of those websites. I can’t recall which one, but I remember checking hotels.com and expedia.com. They both gave the hotel two stars. Not spectacular, but not a bad rating either. They also both said that every room had an ocean view. All the rooms at the Ramada Limited have an ocean view. You have to look around the hotels on the other side of the street, but all the rooms have a view of the ocean.

We got to the hotel about 4:30 or 5:00 on Friday, checked in and rode the elevator to the fourth floor of this 5 story hotel. The elevator was hot, extremely small and kind of creaky. We exited the elevator and walked all the way to the other end of the building. There are no elevators at that end of the building, only a stair case and I’ll talk about that in a minute. The room was all the way at the other end of the hallway and it was actually a little dark down there!

The first problem was that only one of the keys worked. When I attempted to call down to the front desk I found out that the phone didn’t work either. Not to mention the fact that the phone had a “used” sunflower seed husk on it! I walked out on the balcony to check out the “view” and found the rest of the sunflower seed husks that the previous guests had enjoyed, all over the floor out there.

A short time later I decided I needed a bottle of water. I was a little afraid to drink the water out of the tap, I mean, who knows where else the previous guests had stashed sunflower seed husks. They were everywhere else in the room! I walked down to the drink machine I had seen when we exited the elevator earlier to buy a bottle of water. The machine flashed “ICE COLD” across the little red display above the coin slot, but the coin slot was jammed. I tried a dollar bill, but that part of the machine wasn’t working either.

I pressed the elevator button…I figured I’d go up to 5 and check out that machine. A family walked up to the elevator heading down and we struck up a conversation. I told them how embarrassed I was to even say I lived in Virginia Beach knowing that this hotel was in my town and charging almost $200 for a nights' stay. I also told them that I was trying to find a bottle of water. The dad/husband told me not to bother going up to 5, that machine didn’t work either. So, I rode the elevator down to 3 with them. I quickly jumped off the elevator, tried the machine, found out it didn’t work and jumped back in the elevator. I then went down to the second floor, same thing. I ended up around the corner from the hotel at a BP. And this is almost worse than what I got from the hotel. A 20 ounce bottle of water cost more at the BP than it would have cost me if I could have grabbed one out of one of the hotel vending machines. But I grabbed a few and bought them back up to the room for later on. Something told me that I was gonna be thirsty by the end of the night.

After all this we decided to go grab a bite to eat. We walked out of the room and figured it would be shorter to just head down the staircase that was at that end of the hotel. The staircase smelled like a port-o-potty that’s been baking In the sun for a few months. It was dark and damp and really pretty nasty.

I now understand why there are Ramada’s and Ramada Limited’s. This hotel is called a Ramada Limited and I’m here to tell you. Limited is an understatement. I will never ever stay here again and I’ll never in a million years recommend that someone else stay here. It’s my personal opinion that this hotel should be razed and something a little better be put in it’s place.

I really didn't bother to check on this hotel prior to making the reservation because I trusted the name Ramada. Now, to me, the Ramada name is synonomous with EconoLodge, Motel 6 and Travelodge for the worst places in the U.S. to ever stay. I will say that the Econolodge looked like a much nicer hotel. But it was also about $50 more than the Ramada. Actually, EVERY hotel down on the oceanfront looked like a better place to stay than the Ramada.

So, if you visit Virginia Beach and plan on staying at the oceanfront. Please, take my advice and stay away from the Ramada!
 
Comments:
These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jaco beach real estate, map jaco beach, hotel in jaco beach costa rica. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Not sure if I am THE ugly American, but I must be AN ugly American, because some Canadian told me so!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia Beach, United States

20 year Navy vet, originally from NJ now living in Virginia Beach and yeah, Life Is Good!

ARCHIVES
October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / April 2011 / May 2011 / June 2011 / July 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / November 2011 / December 2011 / January 2012 / September 2013 / October 2013 / December 2013 / June 2017 /





Contact me!

andru8259 (at) yahoo.com

Links

  • i AM Promotions on Facebook
  • Search for gas prices by US Zip Code
  • Blogcritics: news and reviews
  • Powered by Blogger

  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Search4Blogs - Blog Directory
  • Real Clear Politics
  • FactCheck.Org
  • FoxNews
  • FrontPageMag
  • Slate
  • Drudge Report
  • My-Way
  • RightWingNews
  • ChronWatch
  • RefDesk
  • Google News
  • Google
  • Middle East Media Research Institute
  • CNSNews
  • Media Research
  • Snopes - Urban Legends
  • Worldnetdaily
  • The Smoking Gun
  • check those BS emails!
  • Hubble Image Page
  • Fun stuff!

  • break.com
  • Get Dehydrated Water Now!
  • Check your political compass
  • Check your moral compass
  • QuizFarm.com
  • Check Page Rank of any web site pages instantly:
    This free page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service
  • HTML Stuff you need!

  • Click Here For HTML Goodies
  • Dynamic Drive DHTML code library
  • Who Links Here
  • eXTReMe Tracker
  • Get Free Blog Traffic
  • Nickname Generator
  • PageRank Checking Tool
  • Web Directory
  • Blog Directory