The Ugly American: How does one pick their news sources? Locations of visitors to this page
Open links in secondary window
The Ugly American
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
  How does one pick their news sources?
I try to read the paper every day…yeah, I only read one…but the crap they put in it is all I can take for one day. I read some web news, like Drudge and Yahoo News. I watch TV…that’s where I get most of my news…TV. I read a few different blogs. But holy mackerel there are some wing nuts out there in cyberspace! How do you pick and choose? How do you know what’s spin and what’s unwashed truth?

The problem as I’m seeing it right now though is where I should get my news. People I regularly converse with tell me all kinds of things about the news. Fox is too conservative…CNN is to liberal…bloggers don’t have a clue…so…where do you go to get just plain news…no spin…no bullshit…just plain news?

I try to watch the Sunday morning news shows on the networks…ABC has “This Week” whose’ host, George Stephanopoulos, is the former press secretary for Clinton...if George can’t spin a story then a story can’t be spun! Think about all the crap he had to spin when he worked in the White House!

NBC has Meet the Press whose host, Tim Russert, has worked for a couple of democrats in the past. Mr. Russert worked as a counselor for Mario Cuomo when he was governor of NY and for Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan as Chief of Staff. NBC has another Sunday morning news show…but I have a hard time listening to Chris Matthews….he seems liking he’s yelling at the world most of the time and I live with 3 women…I don’t need anyone else yelling at me! So, no Hardball for me! I think he might have a little bit of a saliva problem too…besides, Matthews worked for Carter…I was in the military when Carter was president…did you know that when Carter was president China called the U.S. a paper tiger? I was in the military back then…I’d rather watch SNL impersonate him anyway…a lot more fun.

CBS’s Face the Nation seems to have a pretty decent guy as host, Bob Schieffer, with no former political affiliation…the only problem is that I think CBS is just a very dishonest news organization. I have a real problem getting that whole…just because the documents are fake doesn’t mean the story is fake bullshit of Dan Rather’ a couple of years ago. I mean, I don’t even turn on 60 Minutes anymore until Andy Rooney comes on because that’s all that’s worth watching! I will say that Schieffer did a fine job hosting the presidential debates I watched a few years back. At least I thought he did…but I’m probably wrong about that too.

The other Sunday morning show that I watch and actually like is Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace. You would think, being the son of a prominent CBS news personality that Chris would lean a little more to the left…but it doesn’t seem that way to me. One of the regulars on the Fox Sunday morning show is Brit Hume…the first time I saw this guy on Fox News he was yelling at some politician to answer the damn question! I liked that! I believe it was the first time I had ever heard a talking head tell a politician to do something like that! Those same people that tell me that Fox is too conservative point to the fact that the White House just hired one of their talking heads to be the presidents’ press secretary. I guess it’s ok to go from press secretary to talking head, but not the other way around?

But if I tell people that I enjoy Fox news more than any of the other news programs on the boob tube then I must be some kind of crazy conservative. And then you have the folks that appear to honestly believe that nothing Fox reports can possibly be the truth…they call it Faux News…they’re so fucking clever aren’t they?

Like the little rich kid on CNN is any less partisan in his reporting? Come on now…you know who the little rich kid is don’t you? Gloria Vanderbilt’s baby boy? Railroad money? Don’t you people watch Oprah?!??! I just think that people that come from money have a different perspective on life than those of us that don’t come from money. If you’ve never had to worry about whether or not the government cheese and WIC milk was gonna get to you in time then you have a different perspective on life than I do. And if you didn’t have to do it while on active duty then you still won’t get where I’m coming from! You never had to get underway with a wife and newborn still at home with no money and barely enough to eat…but that’s beside the point.

I used to watch O’Reilly, but he’s become to “holier than thou” for me. There was a time when he seemed to be a pretty decent guy. When I lived in AZ I attended a live taping of his show and got to meet and talk to him before the taping. At the time he had been spewing about an SUV tax. I asked him how big his house was and when he told me I suggested that maybe he should be paying an oversized house tax…he actually bought up our conversation at the end of the show. It told me one thing about the guy, he wasn’t just down there signing autographs…he was actually listening to me. That was pretty cool. I just think that now, he’s believes all the BS that they say about him…

Do I actually have to work to get my news? Figure this shit out for myself? Watch all the news channels and try to figure out which talking head is telling the white lie and which one is telling the whopper? Because I know they’re all lying to me…they must be…they all have different stories!

So tell me…where do I get honest, unbiased, straight up news? Is there such a place? Can I get there from here?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Not sure if I am THE ugly American, but I must be AN ugly American, because some Canadian told me so!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia Beach, United States

20 year Navy vet, originally from NJ now living in Virginia Beach and yeah, Life Is Good!

ARCHIVES
October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / April 2011 / May 2011 / June 2011 / July 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / November 2011 / December 2011 / January 2012 / September 2013 / October 2013 / December 2013 / June 2017 /





Contact me!

andru8259 (at) yahoo.com

Links

  • i AM Promotions on Facebook
  • Search for gas prices by US Zip Code
  • Blogcritics: news and reviews
  • Powered by Blogger

  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Search4Blogs - Blog Directory
  • Real Clear Politics
  • FactCheck.Org
  • FoxNews
  • FrontPageMag
  • Slate
  • Drudge Report
  • My-Way
  • RightWingNews
  • ChronWatch
  • RefDesk
  • Google News
  • Google
  • Middle East Media Research Institute
  • CNSNews
  • Media Research
  • Snopes - Urban Legends
  • Worldnetdaily
  • The Smoking Gun
  • check those BS emails!
  • Hubble Image Page
  • Fun stuff!

  • break.com
  • Get Dehydrated Water Now!
  • Check your political compass
  • Check your moral compass
  • QuizFarm.com
  • Check Page Rank of any web site pages instantly:
    This free page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service
  • HTML Stuff you need!

  • Click Here For HTML Goodies
  • Dynamic Drive DHTML code library
  • Who Links Here
  • eXTReMe Tracker
  • Get Free Blog Traffic
  • Nickname Generator
  • PageRank Checking Tool
  • Web Directory
  • Blog Directory